Blueline Project Managers accomplish client’s project goals, objectives, and expectations and serve as the primary liaison between the Client and Blueline. They also plan, direct, and coordinate activities of a designated project to ensure goals and objectives of the project are accomplished within the prescribed schedule and budget parameters.
The Transportation Project Manager is expected to expand Blueline’s Public Works transportation experience to help meet Blueline’s Strategic Plan goals. They will work with Blueline’s Engineering and Marketing staff to target and pursue projects that meet the company’s long term objectives. Ideal candidate would also have experience managing federally funded projects, assisting with grant writing and/or administration, and have extensive experience working with agencies in the Puget Sound area.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
The essential duties and responsibilities of this position may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Prepare and negotiate project schedules, proposals, contracts, and ASAs. Review project proposals to determine time frame, project budgets, and sub-tasks within the projects.
- Determine project’s critical path and effectively orchestrate project team (internally and externally) to meet project deadlines and budget.
- Plan workload daily, weekly, and monthly, and modify schedules or commitments as required according to Clients’ and other Blueline Project Managers’ deadlines/timeframes.
- Expedite permitting and entitlement process within established timeframes internally with project team and externally by negotiating solutions with jurisdictional staff.
- Confer with project staff to discuss scope, outline work plan, and assign duties and responsibilities.
- Establish and maintain relationships with outside sub-consultants, and coordinate and direct their work as applicable.
- Prepare project reports for management, clients, or others, including preparing monthly billing and invoicing of projects, quickly, efficiently, and proactively providing a detailed summary of monthly project holds and write-offs.
- Responsible for design accuracy and effectiveness. This includes the Project Manager’s own designs and any design overseen as a Project Manager. Design elements may include: roadways and ADA; grading; erosion control, and utilities including storm drainage (including vaults and storage ponds), sanitary sewers, water systems; and other associated improvements.
- Research and follow jurisdictional requirements unique to each project.
- Create rough sketches, drawings, redlines, and other specifications for design and drafting staff.
- Perform complex mathematical calculations using extensive knowledge of calculus, trigonometry, and geometry.
- Present project details at meetings and public hearings.
- Be considered a trusted advisor to Blueline clients.
- Build and maintain relationships with clients, public agencies, design team members, and the community.
- Evaluate and maintain relationships with existing good clients, tactfully separate from existing bad clients.
- Have a clear understanding of all services, disciplines, and roles of the company and our sub-consultants, and accurately convey what the Blueline team has to offer to current and prospective clients.
- Regularly act as an ambassador and recognize opportunities to market the company.
- Work with Blueline’s marketing staff and assist in executing marketing strategies and objectives.
- Travel to and participate in trade shows or industry events when necessary.
Lead, plan, assign, and direct work to Blueline project teams, which may include Project Engineers, EITs, Designers, Drafters, Landscape Architects, Planners, and Administrative staff. Responsibilities may include interviewing, hiring, and training employees, and reviewing their performance.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or abilities required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Strong project management skills.
- Strong communication skills (both written and verbal).
- Strong organization and time management skills.
- Strong mathematical and problem-solving skills.
Strong research and report writing skills.
- Thorough understanding of land development industry and Blueline’s role in it.
- Ability to interact positively and professionally with other employees, clients and industry professionals.
- Maintains a high degree of accuracy in all his/her work.
- Bachelor's degree in Civil Engineering from a four-year college or university plus 5 to 10 years’ related experience, or equivalent combination of education and experience, is preferred.
- Experience in the local AEC industry is preferred.
- Experience with managing client relationships.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office, including Word, Excel, Outlook, and Project.
- Working knowledge of Autodesk Civil3d and the ability to learn new software.
- Ability to operate basic office equipment such as telephones, computers, fax, and copy machines.
CERTIFICATE AND LICENSES
Licensed professional engineer registered in the state of Washington is preferred.
Define problems, collect and establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with abstract and concrete variables. Distinguish between relevant and irrelevant information to make logical decisions. Provide solutions to individual and company problems.
Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operational instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to speak effectively before groups of clients or employees and present information to Blueline’s leadership group.
Ability to work with mathematical concepts such as probability, statistical inference, and fundamentals of plane and solid geometry and trigonometry. Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations.