Work at Blueline
The Planner performs residential feasibility work through CAD and GIS support; provides municipal plan review support; prepares proposals for subdivisions, parks and recreational facilities, and commercial and light industrial uses; assists in the development of municipal long-range planning tasks.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
The duties and responsibilities of this position may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Review submittals and applications of development proposals, rezones, conditional use permits, boundary line adjustments, variances, annexations, and environmental review.
- Assist the residential team with site plan feasibilities including zoning review and lot layouts.
- Preparation of supporting documentation for development application submittals including SEPA forms, safe walk reports, zoning compliance documents, etc.
- Assist in development of long-range plans, including comprehensive plan amendments, park and recreational open space plans, housing action plans, and capital improvement program updates.
- Draft ordinances, new land use codes, code amendments and updates, and other regulatory review processes and checklists.
- Provide support to municipal councils/commissions/boards and subcommittees as needed.
- Prepare and present findings of fact, conclusions, and recommendations of land use proposals before city hearing examiner, planning commissions, city councils.
- Analyze and interpret jurisdictional codes.
- Visit and analyze project sites during the planning stage to evaluate existing conditions and verify that design proposals can be consistent with zoning, topography, and physical constraints.
- Prepare graphic representations, plans, and detail drawings using Photoshop or other tools.
- Communicate with clients, subconsultants, jurisdictions, and other project team members.
- Identify and become a member of community and professional industry related organizations.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or abilities required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Takes initiative and can achieve desired results with limited direction.
- Communicates effectively at all levels of the organization from leadership to entry level employees, as well as clients and external teaming partners.
- Communicates confidently and responds to feedback.
- Maintains a high degree of accuracy in all work and documentation.
- Maintains excellent organization and time management skills.
- Has the ability to learn and retain new information quickly.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Urban Planning, or other related discipline preferred.
- 2 to 5 years of experience working in a similar role within the Planning industry.
- Experience with Feasibility Study research and Municipal Code review.
- Experience using ACAD required, and ArcGIS, preferred.
- Experience using Sketchup, Photoshop, InDesign, and Lumion helpful.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office, including Word, Excel, Outlook, and Project.
- Experience with Adobe Acrobat Standard or Professional, Bluebeam, or other pdf creating/editing PDF software.
Define problems, collect and establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagrammatic form and deal with abstract and concrete variables. Distinguish between relevant and irrelevant information to make logical decisions. Provide solutions to project problems.
Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to speak effectively before groups of clients or employees and present information to Blueline’s leadership group.
Ability to understand three-dimensional concepts and statistical data in practice. Ability to apply general algebra theories to create practical design solutions