Work at Blueline
Director of Engineering
The Director of Engineering is responsible for delivering the highest level of excellence from the Engineering Department and its team members. This role will oversee the Engineering Department to ensure performance is aligned with Blueline and industry standards.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
The essential duties and responsibilities of this position may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Oversee Project Engineers, Engineers-in-Training and CAD staff to ensure quality of work is consistent with Blueline’s quality standards, as well as meeting all applicable deadlines and budgets.
- Provide technical guidance to Project Engineers, Engineers-in-Training and CAD staff on project design related issues.
- Defining and controlling the Engineering Department’s processes and standards.
- Establish the Engineering Department’s short and long-term goals, including cultural goals, and ensure they are aligned with overall company-wide strategic goals and are accomplished.
- Maintain and improve employee morale by meeting regularly with staff members and establishing an open line of communication.
- Show up each day ready to motivate the team and lead by example.
- Being accountable for development of and successful implementation of Professional Development Plans (PDPs) for Project Engineers and Engineers-in-Training with assistance from the Engineering Discipline Leads.
- Work closely with Supervisors to ensure engineering staff is properly trained to execute all duties they are expected to carry out.
- Mentoring Engineering staff as necessary to help them achieve their professional goals.
- Providing input on Engineering staff training needs to Discipline Leads.
- Providing annual 360 reviews of Engineering staff to Supervisors.
- Actively providing feedback on team members to Supervisors for Immediate Impact Awards.
- Assist with preparation of Engineering staff job descriptions, identify potential candidates, and participate in staff recruiting interviews.
- Assisting Profit Center Leads with annual revenue estimates and budgets for continuing education and training for Engineering staff.
- Keep current on industry trends and evaluate if implementation would benefit the company.
- Pursue and maintain professional licensure in state(s) other than Washington (as required).
- Act as Project Manager on a handful of civil engineering intensive projects.
- Align Engineering department’s revenue streams and marketing objectives with company and Profit Center goals.
- Champion cross-selling of all Blueline’s services and disciplines.
- Establish and maintain positive relationships with City and County jurisdictions.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or abilities required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Strong background and success with project and people management.
- Strong communication skills (both written and verbal).
- Strong organization and time management skills.
- Ability to maintain a high degree of accuracy in all their work.
- Ability to interact positively and professionally with other employees, clients, and teaming partners.
- Bachelor’s (or advanced) Degree in Civil Engineering from a four-year ABET college or university.
- A minimum of 10 years of related experience at a private consulting firm (Supervisory and/or Director level experience preferred).
- Experience in the local AEC industry is preferred.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office, including Word, Excel, Outlook, and Project.
- Knowledge of Autodesk Civil3d, Bluebeam, hydrology software, etc.
- Licensed Professional Engineer registered in the State of Washington.
- Current NCEES record for ease of comity/reciprocity licensing in states outside of Washington.
Define problems, collect and establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagrammatic form and deal with abstract and concrete variables. Distinguish between relevant and irrelevant information to make logical decisions. Provide solutions to project problems.
Ability to read and comprehend instructions, correspondence, memos, and jurisdictional regulations and codes. Ability to write correspondence, applications, memos, and technical documents. Ability to effectively report project status information to Blueline’s leadership group, Project Managers, clients, teaming partners, and other employees of the organization. Ability to respond to inquiries from management, employees, and clients. Ability to speak effectively before groups of clients or employees and present information to Blueline’s leadership group.