Work at Blueline
Civil 3D CAD Designer
The Civil 3D CAD Designer is responsible for working with the Project Manager, Professional Engineers, and Drafters on private residential/commercial development projects and public municipal projects.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
This position essential duties and responsibilities may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Coordinate with review agencies, subconsultants, and clients.
- Prepare and manage engineering plans and project documents.
- Evaluate engineering alternatives and resolve technical issues.
- Make independent assessments of engineering problems and recommend solutions to engineering discipline leads.
- Plan, coordinate, and execute work in a safe, timely, cost effective and compliant manner.
- Research and follow jurisdictional requirements unique to each project.
- Review and draft rough sketches, drawings, redlines, etc. as provided by the Project Engineer and/or Designer.
- Determine scale and perform mathematical calculations that require knowledge of geometry, algebra, trigonometry, fractions, percentages, ratios and proportions.
- Follow Blueline design and CAD standards.
- Create, edit, and label alignments, Civil 3D parcels, and corridors.
- Create, use, and edit Civil 3D labels.
- Create feature lines and surfaces.
- Manage, data reference, label and interact with a Civil 3D surface.
- Perform roadway design, including creating corridors, subassemblies, road FG, contour grading, and surface cleanup/manipulation through Tin/points.
- Use Civil 3D to design plan and profiles of utilities, including using and creating pipe networks, editing and changing parts and styles, catch basin sizing/spacing and minimum cover, manhole sizing/spacing and minimum cover, hydrant spacing, and creating waterlines in profile with deflection and exaggeration, per jurisdictional requirements.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or abilities required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Strong mathematical and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to visualize 3-dimensionally when given a 2-dimensional sketch.
- Thorough understanding of land development industry and the role of Civil Engineering in it.
- Ability to interact positively and professionally with other employees, as well as clients and industry professionals.
- Maintains a high degree of accuracy in all his/her work.
- Excellent organization and time management skills.
- Ability to learn and retain new information quickly.
- Dependability and thoroughness.
• 4 or more years in an engineering designer role.
• Past project experience is required in the following area: subdivisions, mixed-use and commercial land development projects.
- Proficiency using Autodesk Civil 3D 2012 or better.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office 2010.
Strong analytical skills with the ability to convert data analysis to enable users to understand data and make informed decisions. Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists.
Ability to read and comprehend instructions, correspondence, and memos. Ability to write correspondence. Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and small-group situations to customers, clients, and other employees of the organization.